Monday 21 September 2009

Cast off

Well, it’s been a while – that’s what happens when you start working and cycling again!

Things have been going pretty well – I got the all-clear from the consultant that my scaphoid bone was healing well (now that it had the titanium screw holding things together) a few weeks ago and celebrated with a couple of laps of Richmond Park. Two things struck me immediately – wind resistance and hills! Turbo life can’t match the experience and, much as I always struggle to haul my bulk uphill, I found myself enjoying the climbing experience so much that I doubled back just to take another shot at Broomfield Hill. Good job too that I made the most of it - recently they've resurfaced the park roads, making them (temporarily) dangerous beyond belief.

Since then I’ve also started commuting again – I’d forgotten all about the competitiveness of London commuter cyclists! There are busy sections of the Kennington Park Road where it’s like a dragstrip – riders head down, arse up, punishing themselves to the next red light. Fun, but dangerous…

I have no riding plans for the rest of the year other than a few club runs and commuting. I honestly cannot face the turbo again yet, so will keep myself content with regular steady base miles. Next year I want to catch up on all the riding I missed this year – some more racing (Palace, Eelmore, Surrey League road races) and the sportives (La Marmotte, Southern, Highclere) and maybe a longer continental trip or the club sportive.

Oh, and I’m thinking about building a new winter/training bike. The Scott is on it’s last legs so I’ll salvage the wheels, pedals and saddle, buy a new group, headset, seatpost, handlebars and stem and attach them all to this (maybe):


I’ll need a fork as well. Good excuse for some online shopping!

Cheap and cheerful, robust and not too ugly. Can take full mudguards or I’ll probably give the new Crud Guards a go. Should be perfect. Now, where’s that toolbox…

No comments:

Post a Comment