Monday 14 June 2010

RPTT 2010

I did my first ever time trial this weekend and a very relaxed affair it was too (aside from the early start). The Richmond Park TTs that the club organised as pilot events last year are taking place again for three Sunday mornings. Yesterday’s was the first of the year and probably one of my more pleasant park rides – the almost complete lack of traffic makes the park seem very chilled early in the morning. Last year I marshalled one of the events and took quite a few pictures. This year I had limited opportunities for looking around because I was in head down, legs burning and heavy breathing mode!

I completed the fairly tough out-and-back course (10.4miles) in 27.09, a bit over the 27mins I was aiming for. The highlight was passing my minute and two minute riders before the halfway point. The low was realising that I’d gone off a bit too fast and mucked up my pacing a bit. Some of the times were spectacular, especially in the RR category (best time by IanP was 24.14). I reckon a 26.30 or so might be possible with better pacing.

The RP TTs are great events for those new to TTs - you don’t need to be affiliated to any club, you don't need a TT bike, and the park will be resurfaced very soon so subsequent times might be even faster. If you haven’t already, check out CTT RP TT for an entry form for the July 18th or August 8th events.

So immediately after burning my legs and lungs early in the morning I opted (perhaps unwisely) to go on the club Surrey Hills ride. I didn’t last too long with the group with my heavy legs, but thankfully Mark dropped back with me and nursed me round the hills. We ended up doing the full ride at a decent enough pace, even though my legs felt absolutely dead by the time I made it back to Wimbledon. I found that I’d developed a raging appetite too – can’t think why!

No comments:

Post a Comment