Wednesday 21 July 2010

Screaming Alice

Last night I decided to head down to Palace again for the 3/4 race. No great plans really, just the usual aim to try to finish in the bunch. Dynamo were marshalling the race, so after checking that we did have enough marshalls and I wouldn’t be needed, I signed on at the little desk on the circuit and picked up my numbers. I hadn’t been to Palace since April due to various commitments and had nearly forgotten what a lovely place it is to race – a picturesque, quiet, exciting circuit. Everything seems quite low-key until the racing starts, then your lungs feel like they are going to burst out of your chest!

Unfortunately I didn’t achieve my goal – I spend far too long hanging around at the back. Due to Dynamo marshalling I got yelled at a lot – “Move up Nick”, “Come on, move”, “Stop hanging around at the back”, “Put some effort in, lardarse” (OK, I made the last one up, but they may as well have been shouting that). Elliott kept my spirits up with his horn and constant encouragement after I dropped off the back of the bunch. I lasted 15 laps, then got together with 4 other riders for another 8 laps or so before being pulled out. Not a good performance and the only mitigating factor was that it was a very warm evening (I prefer slightly cooler weather). I hope to get back to Palace at least once more before the series ends – when I do I will not sit at the back of the bunch. Of course, I may have just come back from holiday and be hopelessly out of condition!

The 3/4 race was won by an Agreeables rider, who’s children were very excited to see their dad win (and then lie down on the grass unable to move). Nice to see!

Whilst watching the sprint for the E12 race I saw a small rider in yellow burst out of the pack – it was Germain Burton, who came second. He’s a young guy (14 or 15 I think) but a stunning rider already. His father is Maurice Burton, the owner of De Ver Cycles and former 6 day rider (I googled him to find out) so Germain has obviously benefitted from a strong gene pool. Definitely an exciting talent to watch in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment