Sunday 5 April 2009

Pig in a poke

I had an offer of a lift to Hog Hill on Saturday from a fellow Dynamo for the 3rds/4ths Whitewebbs CC circuit race. So I though ... hmmm, why not? I'd never been to the Hill before and knew nothing about it. I did know that I wouldn't have the chance to race for another two weeks, so it seemed too good an opportunity to pass up.

On reflection, I wish I'd stayed at home and gone for a longer ride in the Surrey Hills. The drizzle forecast for most of the day cleared and we were treated to a beautiful day of sunshine, which I would have appreciated if I weren't sweating my way up that bloody hill every lap! What a race! The field was quite strong anyway, with a break of 10 or so riders getting away pretty early, followed by another smaller group of chasers. So early on it was clear that points were unlikely for the bunch - Hog Hill seems to be a great circuit for exciting racing, as the hill tends to help facilitate breaks getting away and staying away. After about lap 5 I noticed that there were a few riders who had gone backwards out of the bunch, and this pattern remained for much of the race - the hill would shell a rider or two most laps. At about lap 11 that rider was me! I knew that bloody hill would do for me - the longish draggy approach was fine, even into the fairly strong wind, but the final ramping up of the last 100m did a - ahem - larger rider no favours at all. I chased for a lap, got back on, went back off again on the hill, and used the remaining laps as training - let's call it a reverse solo breakaway!

Some pertinent facts - average speed up until I bailed was 21.6 mph, car journey time there was 1.5hrs, home was 2hrs. What with getting to my clubmate's house as well (he did OK in the end, coming in at the front of the chasing bunch) the race took up 7 hours of my day for 1.5hrs riding. As much as the circuit is great I think it's unlikely I'll be going again - the logistics are just too tricky from SW London. Seven hours of riding in the sunshine would have given me the opportunity instead to do my first 100-miler of the year (with time for a good lunch thrown in too, rather than a hastily-grabbed Snickers bar at Hog Hill).

Now that I know about it, if the opportunity arises again I think I'll just say no. Roll on Hillingdon, Chertsey and Crystal Palace...


No comments:

Post a Comment