Friday 5 June 2009

Not to plan

Well, that was interesting. I got out to Hog Hill after a good rest, felt pretty fresh and was looking forward to the race. I didn't really want to warm up, but after seeing my clubmate set off for the industrial estate for a quick spin I decided I'd do the same. Big, big mistake!

Basically - moment of inattention, hit a rock/large piece of rubble in the road, lost it, both hands dropped off bars, grabbed at bars, up onto shallow kerb, hands jolted off bars again, hit a low wall quite hard and went down. Patched up by first aid medic at the circuit then late night in A&E to find out that I had broken left wrist, broken finger on right hand...also sore and cut knees, cut fingers, road rash on shoulder and dented pride. My Isaac has a nasty scrape on the rear seatstay, and the bars, front wheel and shifters took most of the impact. I now have to type with the only finger on right hand that is not bandaged. At least my clubmate came 2nd and only needs 5 more points to move up to 2nd cat, so he was in a good mood driving me to hospital last night!


Off to hospital again in a week for follow-ups. I might not be able to ride for about four to six weeks, or attend the Nocturne tomorrow (and I got Rapha pink velcro put on my casts specially). I think that's my Marmotte buggered as well. Very, very unhappy. Still,you have to laugh - I was only just complaining of needing time off the bike. I didn't have this in mind though...

No comments:

Post a Comment