Thursday 11 March 2010

Hoggenberg

San Fairy Ann 3/4 crit, Hog Hill, Saturday 6th March. My first time back at Hog Hill since my mishap last June. Only my second time actually taking part in a race there. Last time I raced at the Hog I think I lasted about halfway through the race then slowly drifted off the back up the ‘berg! So how was I going to fare this time? Was my fitness better?

In short, yes. I managed 17 of the 20 laps and had no problems on the hill at all. So my recovery after hard efforts is getting better. I had a problem on lap 17 with the rider in front of me though! I’d been sitting near the back for a few laps (I know I shouldn’t have been there) when I noticed the guy immediately in front had a rather flat tyre. I noticed this coming into the fastest corner of the circuit, with the tailwind whipping everyone round the almost 90 degree bend at great speed. Guess where this guy nearly lost his tyre and ended up careering all over the place? Guess which muppet was stuck behind him? Guess who couldn’t quite catch the bunch for another lap and then gave up as they dangled just out of reach? Aaargghh!

On the brighter side we celebrated my wife’s birthday that night with friends, karaoke and Chinese food. Sore heads all round on Sunday! I think my singing is almost as bad as my racing…

No comments:

Post a Comment