Thursday 20 May 2010

The Eel

“Most eels prefer to dwell in shallow waters or hide at the bottom layer of the ocean, sometimes in holes. These holes are called eel pits.”

Tonight’s race was a bit of a revelation. I’m pretty much done with Eelmore. Not only does it not really suit me (sprint, coast, corner, sprint, coast) but it is pan-flat and usually allows everyone to hold on in the bunch. Last night was the exception because a group of 7 riders got away and stayed away, but on the whole the race ends in a bunch sprint and in that respect is not unlike Hillingdon (except it is a lot safer). So it is all too easy to sit in my eel pit, hiding in the middle of the bunch and doing very little. Last night I put in one small dig off the front but it was pretty much doomed from the start – two others came across but we had a tiny gap and our legs were burning. The remainder of the bunch (by this stage the race-winning break had got away) were keen to chase down any further breaks, catch them and then slow right down, as is usual in 3/4 races. I don’t know what happened last night, as the pace overall was pretty fast from the off, but looking at the average it seems lower than other races at the same circuit. Irrespective of all that, it felt faster than usual, which might worryingly mean that my fitness is declining at just the wrong time. Either that or I just wasn’t ‘up for it’ – I certainly found myself getting a bit bored and irritated once the break had gone. Oh well, two large glasses of wine afterwards made me feel a bit better…

It’s a shame because Eelmore is a safe circuit, the riding is (generally) of a pretty high standard and the organisation is efficient and very friendly. But I know the difference between turning up with some ambition or turning up to throw another £10 at the organisers, and I have been consistently following the latter option. Maybe I’ll go back later in the season but for now I feel the need for some variety, which I’ll be getting with the Edenbridge SERRL road race this weekend. Well, variety in location in the country anyway, although I’ll probably still be hanging out in the eel pit near the back of the bunch. Have a look for me there and shout at me to move my arse!

No comments:

Post a Comment