Friday 27 March 2009

Turbo Trainer Trials

I've often wondered why training on the turbo seems so much harder than on the road. Is it because there's no change in scenery? Because intervals are the main reason for jumping on the trainer? The weather is too inclement to do proper riding?

No - none of the above. Instead I've made a rod for my own back. I've told the family (and specifically my wife) that I enjoy cycling on the turbo. This was a necessary statement to avoid the impression that I was actually mad. You see, it wouldn't take much (read: at all) to give me the excuse not to turbo train. The mere thought of a comment along the lines of "Why don't you just take a break for the day - you don't really enjoy it" would be enough for me to kick off the Specializeds and pull on the slippers. So I have to grin and bear it if I want to improve my fitness. That means literally grinning each time my wife or the kids look out of the window (I do my turbo training in the garden to at least get some fresh air). Grinning back when my HR is at 98% of max. Grinning when my legs are screaming at me. Grinning when I've just started an interval for 3 minutes aiming for 353W (so much harder on the turbo that on the road) and, instead of Metallica or Fatboy Slim to motivate me, my daughter's party music takes over on the iPod and I get Steps' Don't Stop Moving - how the hell did that get onto the playlist? In fact it isn't too bad, but wrong tempo. See, the turbo will make you admit to everything!

For the record, I decided to do a 20 minute max effort as a marker to see if I've improved over the past 3 months. Rather gratified to find out that the power has increased over the 20 minutes by 25 watts - not going to break any records, but might be useful in that stylish, race-winning break!

Incidentally the picture was taken in February this year, just after the major snowfall in London - nothing like being chased by Frosty the Snowman for motivating you to pedal faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment