Monday 23 March 2009

What type of rider are you?

I completed my first road cycle race on Sunday (Surrey League Kirdford 3rds). Not my first road race ever, but the first one I've finished (the actual first race involved me breaking my rear wheel on a pothole on the final lap after 50 miles of racing - talk about frustrating). Just finishing gave me a little buzz, but has led me to reflect on the type of rider I am. And the conclusion I arrived at is:

Too polite (if that can be termed a type)

I felt that I had the legs to do better, my lungs weren't hurting, I felt confident and very aware of what was happening in the race (it sounds odd to say that I was 'aware', but there are riders who are so obviously blinkered in pursuit of victory that they lose the ability to predict others' movements). But rather than close a gap and prevent another rider from moving in, I am too willing to be sensible and give them the chance to get back onto the left hand side of the road. Note to self - need to get a bit more aggressive.

I suppose I always hoped winning (or coming in the top 10) would be as a result of silky acceleration, deft handling and sustained power in a breakaway. I used to (and still do) think a classy second place is better than a ramshackle victory. And by classy I mean stylish. Think Bjorn Borg over John McEnroe, or a slick 50-yard pass by Glen Hoddle (before he went all 'Come on Eileen') rather than a Bryan Robson surge. If I want to have any success this season, I have to either get in a break and cruise to victory, or abandon all pretensions of style and grub around for points in sprints. No prizes for guessing which is the more likely!


No comments:

Post a Comment