Friday 1 May 2009

Oil couture

I've been using Chain-L oil on my chains for the past 3 months. The change from Finish Line Lube was brought on by frustration at mucky, wet-looking chains that attracted dirt faster than Pig-Pen. Setting off with a clean and freshly-oiled chain, only to return after 4 hours in the Surrey Hills with the chain covered in filth and sounding like a coffee-grinder was starting to get on my nerves.

Apparently Chain-L was tested by numerous messengers in New York amongst others, so I figured if it was good at dealing with city grit then it should cope well with Surrey Hills slurry and dirt. It's a thick and sticky oil (no solvents) which goes on better if warmed a bit. It seems to coat the chain really, really well too and you can wipe the chain dry to remove surface dirt without removing much of the oil. Good stuff, the longer I use it the more I like it. The only downside is the smell - very sulphurous, not a bit like a quality perfume...

It is also the first cycling product that my wife has given the thumbs-up to - clever packaging!


No comments:

Post a Comment