Wednesday 6 May 2009

Buggy Hell - Shattered Crystal Part 2

So, another evening at Palace, another speed-fest, another early retirement! I had planned to go along simply to watch and support a couple of the Dynamo riders, thus saving my legs for an Eelmore race the following evening, but before I knew it I was lining up to hand over my £10 and pin a number on. A big mistake - there is no room for half-heartedness at Palace, no hiding in the pack for a couple of laps, no letup in the relentlessness of that bloody incline.

I managed to secure a position mid-way back in the start line, fumbled clipping into my pedal, found myself in the last third of the pack going into the first corner, and that was it - race over. You really have to be near the front at the start to avoid all the riders who either haven't raced at Palace before (and go slowly round the corners on the first lap) or have no cornering skills to start with. I wasn't near the start and paid the penalty, struggling round with a bunch for about 10 laps before calling it an evening and saving my legs for the next day. Edit: of course, if I was really good I would be able to swoop past the dropped riders and re-join the main bunch...

There was a bizarre incident on the first lap - second corner (the easiest on the circuit) and a rider fell - just seemed to topple sideways. Then later in the race another rider did exactly the same thing at the same spot! I looked at the corner - no gravel or oil, no holes in the surface - very odd.

I still have to figure out how to get some success at the circuit that is the hardest interval session most riders will do all summer! And just to round the evening off nicely, yet again my legs got bitten to hell before the race by the raging bloodsuckers that inhabit the Palace!

No comments:

Post a Comment