Friday 8 May 2009

Eelmore 3/4

Wednesday evening started with a fairly long drive to the Eelmore driver training circuit near Aldershot for the VC Meudon Cycle Kingdon 3rds/4ths race. Entering the circuit was slightly odd - you turn off the road, down a short dirt track and then drive straight onto the circuit itself. I was very worried there might be a race going on (often the junior races are run before the senior event) and really didn't want to turn onto the road only to see a bunch of youngsters heading my way. I was sure that they would have a marshall on the entrance if a race had started though.

At the sign-on I found out there was an E12 race that would be running at the same time. This is pretty common on circuits, and can sometimes cause absolute mayhem if the 3rds are lapped and try to subtly hang onto the back of the E12 bunch for a bit, as apparently happened the week before. I just had time for a few laps of the circuit prior to the start - two sweeping hairpins and two straights - that's it! It was wide with a decent surface though, so seemed like it should be one of the safer circuits. It was also going to be my first race as the sole London Dynamo rider in the bunch. We're a big club and this rarely happens.

During the warmup I was passed by an enormous rider on a Viner who looked a dead ringer for Magnus Backstedt. Hang on - Viner, Magnus Maximus Coffee sponsorship, well over 6' - it was big Maggy. Thank God I'm not in the E12 race, I thought!

Anyhow, the race - hmmm. Not the most inspiring place to race, and with a severe headwind down one straight there was never much chance of a break sticking. The other straight turned into a tailwind tearup as we hammered along towards the hairpin at breakneck speed, playing a game of chicken with the braking. It all boiled down to the predictable bunch sprint which was won by a Hillingdon rider I think. I was about 25th or so (i.e. out of contention by the time the sprint started). Hopeless positioning again. So although the circuit was not the most interesting I think I'll be back - I should be able to do better there.

And big Maggy? He rolled over the line at the back of the E12 bunch looking as though he hadn't a care in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment